Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#182299 - 08/03/17 12:43 AM Mohr's Island Hunt
rmocarsky
stranger

Loc: Maryland

Anyone heard of/been to this place in Bainbridge, PA.?

It is on a 150 acre island in the Susquehanna River, and the owner releases pigs and rams on this island and charges $375 (any size hog) to go there and harvest one.

He also offers transport to an Amish butcher who charges around $200 to butcher the pig into assorted cuts (hams, steaks, sausage, bacon, etc.) and it is ready for pickup in a couple of weeks.

Reviews suggest little sport involved, as the pigs are pretty much farm animals and domestic, but they all say the yielded pork is superior to anything they have had from a store.

There are vids on You Tube, just search Mohr's Widowmaker Island Hunt and there are several, and they appear rather lame, as far as hunting goes.

Now, I know it is not hunting and there is no challenge unless you set limits on yourself, but as far as a wisely purchased harvest, is it just that, considering the cost?

In other words, is it more affordable than buying a 300 lb. pig and having it custom cut and freezer wrapped?

Rmocarsky

#182326 - 08/03/17 11:53 PM Re: Mohr's Island Hunt [Re: rmocarsky]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

read about him awhile ago but never followed up....
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#182328 - 08/04/17 01:25 AM Re: Mohr's Island Hunt [Re: jamesfromjersey]
rmocarsky
stranger

Loc: Maryland

James,

I live in MD and there is a website here called Marylandwhitetail.com.

A few years in a row some of those guys put together a group trip up to Mohr's and took their kids.

They all said it was not a challenge for firearms, but for bows it was, due to the fact that the foliage is so thick on that island it is hard to get a clear bow shot.

And they ALL profess that the meat they got back from the Amish butcher was the best pork they have ever had; smoked and fresh hams, bacon, variety of sausages and they all said they got a ton of meat for about $200-$250 butchering fee.

That coupled with the $375 you are looking at somewhere around $625 before tipping the guides.

Do a search on You Tube for Mohr's Widowmaker Island hunts and there are several episodes of trips there. I won't call them hunts.

It is obvious they are farm animals and not game.

But I can't help but wonder if it may be a cost-effective way to get what they say is the best pork.

If I went, I would not consider it a hunt, rather more like harvest and I would choose a humane way of dispatching the pig, rather than seeking any kind of challenge for myself as it is NOT hunting.

Rmocarsky

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (sixshot, longhunter, tradmark, 1 invisible) and 85 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
The Original .44 R
The Original .44 Remington Magnum

THE GREAT KING OF
THE GREAT KING OF THE UNCOMPAHGRE FOREST

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.031 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.