Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180594 - 04/30/17 09:06 PM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Brenden]
FA834ME

Check Freedoms website for their preferred dealer list to see if there is a dealer near you in Colorado. A phone call to the factory may produce the name of a small dealer near you. A visit to the factory would be a hell of a road trip to handle one if you are not to far away. My Redhawk has served me well for many years and I would not part with it but if you are looking for the best available the FA's are it. My only regret is not getting one sooner. Whatever you decide on shoot and enjoy!

#180605 - 04/30/17 10:53 PM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: racksmasher1]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
 Originally Posted By: Whitworth
I'm going to suggest another option that won't set you back a lot of money but that will pretty much out shoot any factory offering and that is a BFR. Not as aesthetically pleasing as an FA, I have yet to meet one that won't shoot, and you can safely carry it with all five chambers loaded. Plus, they can be had new for around $800.00 or thereabouts. I love my FAs, but a BFR is a true workhorse that performs on a high level.
BFR"s are well worth the$, they are built like a TANK, they are a step down from the Freedoms, you will not go wrong with either!

Maybe a step left or right, but definitely not down. From a point of practicality, I find losing a round in capacity a real bummer. I also judge on accuracy and reliability and both of those go to the BFR in my humble opinion. However, to each their own.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#180608 - 05/01/17 05:17 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Whitworth]
jwp475
old hand

Originally Posted By: racksmasher1
I'm going to suggest another option that won't set you back a lot of money but that will pretty much out shoot any factory offering and that is a BFR. Not as aesthetically pleasing as an FA, I have yet to meet one that won't shoot, and you can safely carry it with all five chambers loaded. Plus, they can be had new for around $800.00 or thereabouts. I love my FAs, but a BFR is a true workhorse that performs on a high level.
BFR"s are well worth the$, they are built like a TANK, they are a step down from the Freedoms, you will not go wrong with either!

Maybe a step left or right, but definitely not down. From a point of practicality, I find losing a round in capacity a real bummer. I also judge on accuracy and reliability and both of those go to the BFR in my humble opinion. However, to each their own.

The BFR is an excellent option, for sure.

#180613 - 05/01/17 10:02 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: trlcavscout]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: trlcavscout

Interesting, you would take a BFR over having a Ruger customized or getting an FA? I see the value if they are good and of course I like saving money. I sold a Noveske AR-15 I had so I have a little cash to play with. I am "fairly" happy with my stock Rugers (except the triggers) but I know their are better options.

Thanks for the replies I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to spend it twice and I don't know if anyone close that has an FA or equivalent to try out.

Beside it being a 45, what are you really looking for? Certain level of accuracy at a given distance? Certain trigger pull weight?

#180618 - 05/01/17 02:22 PM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Ernie]
Craig44
enthusiast

Ernie asks a good question, what do you want out of it?

I have a little bit of everything and will comment from the perspective that this is a difficult decision to screw up. You have many options and most of them are good.

Freedom Arms is as good as you will get out of the box. I have a 7?" .454/.45Colt and it is as well made as legends suggest. However, it is also just like everybody else's standard 7?" gun, or will be until I get grips fitted. Anything you want, as long as it's stainless steel.

If BFR's are a step down, it's a difficult step to detect. They are extremely robust and well made guns with accuracy rivaling that of Freedom Arms. They are also ready to go out of the box, except for maybe some grips which you can also get when you order it. Usually stainless steel but other options exist too.

The beauty of the custom Ruger is that from mild to wild, it can be whatever you want it to be. It can be made to shoot at least as well as the other two but may cost more to get there. With that said, Reeder would be my last choice. His work can be best characterized as semi-custom production guns with more of an emphasis on flash than substance. Here's a Huntington for contrast:

#180621 - 05/01/17 04:50 PM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Craig44]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Austin, TX USA

My personal preference would be for a Freedom Arms 454 or 44 Magnum regardless with a 7.5 or 10" barrel. I've got Rugers and have owned BFRs. I've yet to see a custom Ruger or BFR with trigger work that will compare to the FA trigger with an action job. The FA M83 trigger is closer to that of a nice bolt gun. Then there is the grip. I've handled a bunch of Bisley style grips that have been fitted and some with grip frames re-worked and I have not found one that feels as right as the M83, especially under heavy recoil, but to each their own. The front sight on a BFR is an abomination. The Ruger sights are ok but benefit by replacing them with sights from Bowen. The FA premier grade sight with fiber-optic front is close to perfect in a hunting sight. If you're going to scope the gun then it doesn't matter as much but the Rugers are difficult to scope unless you get the Hunter.

#180625 - 05/02/17 12:03 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Gary]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

content Online
Ill add my 2 cents. We have 4 bfrs. The latest, a 460, which has a good trigger,
A 500jrh with a good trigger but not great, then.a 454 with a not good trigger and another 454 with an ok trigger. All of my freedom arms needed to have a trigger job or they were just ok. All but one bfr were better than any stock ruger and none were as good as my sw guns. Not even close. My reworked fa have very good triggers but theyre not great. The srh i got back from jack huntington has as good a trigger as ive had except my smiths. Youve gotta ne specific when you talk about best. Best fit and finish is def is in freedom arms corner. It is a work of art. Best in function is my huntington tunes srh. Accurate as hell now. Goes from night sights to red dot to scope in less than a minute and holds zero. Also holds six. Not much can compete with that, but when you look at single actions, the bfr bs fa is an interesting question. Function wise. My bfr's havent thus far given up much if anything to my freedoms. Not finished as nice nor as tight. But they can carry a full cylinder. My latest bfr's are fitted nicely with a sight that is basically like a bowen rear. The front is equivalent to the fa in sighting but that fiber optic fa sight is just excellent and the beat front available imho. I can get to put a fa base on the bfr and i can use their sight, do a trigger and now get a bisley grip and an action job and still get 2
Both cheaper and quicker than a freedom arms. If ya hunt dangerous game then the bfr gives the advantage of not
Only a full 5 loaded cylinders and the ability to counter rotate the cylinder if you jump crimp and tie the gun up. Also the bfr has a longer cylinder in the short cylinder and theres numerous bullets in 454, 44, 475 and 50 cal that can ised in the bfr that are too long to load in the fa, and
Standard bullets give a lot more room in case of bullet pull under recoil. Plus they come with a really well made and fitted scope base stock with the gun. The choice is yours but i havent yet found the equal when cutting hairs with accuracy and theres a reason fa owns every imhsa record. The fr wasnt born yet though. I will post more accuracy comparisons soon. The bfr has a distinct function advantage and fhe fa is the obviously "nicer" gun. Oh yeah. The bfr is stronger but a slight bit bulkier.

#180626 - 05/02/17 08:41 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Gary]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

Originally Posted By: Gary
I've yet to see a custom Ruger or BFR with trigger work that will compare to the FA trigger with an action job. The FA M83 trigger is closer to that of a nice bolt gun.

I have yet to feel an FA trigger that can compare to a properly tuned Ruger or BFR. You can't seem to mask that rubbery tightly wound spring feeling. I'm sorry, but Bowen, Huntington, Harton, etc. can tune a Ruger/BFR to the point that they really have no equals. The only thing smoother -- potentially -- is a Smith & Wesson.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#180628 - 05/02/17 09:19 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: Ernie]
trlcavscout

Loc: Colorado

I am looking for a little better accuracy, better trigger, and better fit/finish then the Rugers with less sharp edges and better fitting grips.

I am considering a 475, I wish I could shoot one first.

#180629 - 05/02/17 10:06 AM Re: First higher end/custom revolver questions. [Re: trlcavscout]
KYODE
Gun Slinger

Loc: Northeast Ky.

content Online
Ive never shot a birdshead grip....they do look cool....but wouldnt it be abusive with heavy recoil?

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
3 registered (hrh2k, karl, 1 invisible) and 134 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
jamesfromjersey
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
johnwilliams
pab1
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
Rocky Mountain Elk
Rocky Mountain Elk

2008 Handgun Blast
2008 Handgun Blastn'Blab Shoots and Competitions

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.039 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.