Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180403 - 04/22/17 06:31 PM Minute-of-pie plate
briarhopper
addict

Loc: Kenai, Ak

I took the Dan Wesson out today for some "spring cleaning". It is the blued 44 mag in 2" fixed bbl. I only shot a few rounds of HSM Bear loads to start warming up to it. It will be my back up this year while hiking, camping and hunting, and it rides in a Diamond D Guide's Choice holster. The front sight is a flush-mounted plastic-looking red insert into the black ramp, and is not as bright and crisp as it used to be. But that's only fair, I guess, since my eyes are not as bright and crisp as they used to be either.

I stepped off 15 paces, and started off standing off-handed. Minute-of-pie plate.

I dropped to one knee, and concentrated harder on bringing that darn front sight in crisper and clearer. Ended up with a 6-shot group of 4". Gonna try some paint on that insert, but I love the rear sight. That revolver has a unique feel to pulling the hammer back, and the double action trigger isn't like anything I've shot before. I cant define it, but it's like the stack is all arraigned different. That probably makes no sense at all. But the SA trigger is very, very sweet, and I 'm really enjoying shooting it. The crazy thing is built like a vault.

I'll keep working on the shooting. It's not for hunting (though it could be in the hands of a better shooter) or for bench shooting, so I'll keep working off handed as to prepare better for it's intended use. 4" Isn't really terrible for 6 shots in those circumstance, but they were a very slooooow 6 shots for answering a charging ugly, so I gotta work on it.

#180409 - 04/22/17 08:55 PM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: briarhopper]
AK hgunner1
addict

Loc: Last Frontier

Get yourself a .357 Dwayne.....LOL

Not the only one having a hard time seeing the front sight anymore.......Paint 'em up time for us..

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD

#180423 - 04/23/17 12:12 PM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: AK hgunner1]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

briarhopper, could you take a look at the 2 1/2" DW 44 I just posted and let me know what I`am in for...Thanks, James
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#180426 - 04/23/17 12:18 PM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Shootist

when at the range in Idaho they had bright orange front sights that you could see great...told me they bought flouresent orange model paint and first painted the sight white. When dry they painted orange.. just bought the paint and will post a pic if it turns out good.... could be just what you need for your shorty 44....
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#180429 - 04/23/17 12:25 PM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: jamesfromjersey]
briarhopper
addict

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
briarhopper, could you take a look at the 2 1/2" DW 44 I just posted and let me know what I`am in for...Thanks, James

James, if yours is as heavy as mine is (and I'm sure it is) it's a joy to shoot. Even with heavy boomers. My trigger is very crisp and light, and accuracy is better than I can shoot. It is a most excellent weapon, and gives absolutely nothing away to any S&W or Super Redhawk I've ever carried or shot. I also like the lock-up in front of the cylinder, once I got used to it. Much stronger. Mine is a model made for just one year back in the 80's, as best I can discover, and one of the luckiest accidental finds I ever stumbled across in a used consignment case. $475.00.

#180434 - 04/23/17 12:36 PM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: briarhopper]
Shootist

you sure as heck found a winner.....especially living where you do.... 44 mag ammo in my 6" DW is a dream to shoot...when I hunted with the scoped 8" barrel the gun bucked like a .38...glad I ran into this 2 1/2" barrel...
\:\)

#180799 - 05/11/17 01:32 AM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: jamesfromjersey]
Bob Roach
addict

Loc: Missouri Ozarks

My local dealer has a Taurus Titanium Snub 44 magnum in the case "new". It has a very good trigger. I would have guessed it had a very well done trigger job, if not for it being new.
I will bet your Steel Dan Wesson Snub is a lot more fun to shoot. I am about out of trading material, or I would have taken the Taurus home by now. That would be one snake killing machine with Speer Shot Shells. With your Full House Bear Loads it might be a toss up between letting the bear get you and firing them in that airweight revolver.
Using the Sight Paint let it dry well after applying the White, and again after applying the Color. First clean with alcohol. Keep an eye on the paint, and reapply if you scuff it off.

Bob

Edited by Bob Roach (05/11/17 01:37 AM)

#180800 - 05/11/17 01:39 AM Re: Minute-of-pie plate [Re: Bob Roach]
briarhopper
addict

Originally Posted By: Bob Roach
My local dealer has a Taurus Titanium Snub 44 magnum in the case "new". It has a very good trigger. I would have guessed it had a very well done trigger job, if not for it being new.
I will bet your Steel Dan Wesson Snub is a lot more fun to shoot. I am about out of trading material, or I would have taken the Taurus home by now. That would be one snake killing machine with Speer Shot Shells. With your Full House Bear Loads it might be a toss up between letting the bear get you and firing them in that airweight revolver.
Using the Sight Paint let it dry well after applying the White, and again after applying the Color. First clean with alcohol. Keep an eye on the paint, and reapply if you scuff it off.

Bob

Ouch! Not sure I'm man enough to shoot these full house loads through a titanium air-weight.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  jamesfromjersey, Gregg Richter, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gary 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
17 registered (vhntr1, jwp475, Mech 8, racksmasher1, KevinG, Spencer) and 108 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
My Anniversary Gif
My Anniversary Gift

Prepping Your Case
Prepping Your Cases

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.04 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.