Page 1 of 2 12>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180395 - 04/22/17 01:46 PM Action job / trigger job
bamabow

Ok guys please remember that being new to all this that my questions may seem rudimentary. Here goes, my gun is a ruger sbh bisley hunter. Have shot it around 100 times so far. Love the gun. Am shooting about 1.5" 3 shot groups with factory ammo at 25yds benched. I would like the trigger to break sooner and hopefully crisper. By the way it has the best trigger already of any handgun that I have ever bought. Also, I am in the process of order all my equipment to start reloading. My real questions is can you guys tell me is there a difference in an action job and a trigger job? Can you recommend someone for the job? I live near Birmingham, Alabama would I be better off to send it to someone outside of the area?
Thanks for your help
Bamabow

#180396 - 04/22/17 02:40 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: bamabow]
cherokeetracker

Action Jobs usually take into consideration to the timing as well as the trigger. The trigger job involves polishing the hammer and trigger in the correct angles and polishing were it is necessary. Changing the springs is necessary if you want to lighten the trigger also. Please do not lift off one side of the trigger spring. This is often referred to as the poor mans trigger job. It is much better to replace the trigger spring with a lighter tension spring. As far as the hammer spring is concerned, some folks like to lighten it also. I do not because this changes the lock time. As far as the correct Gunsmith to send this to,, I will post the following names. You will need to decide and maybe even discuss with the Gunsmith just how light of a trigger pull you want. A 3LB trigger is great for many people.

Hamilton Bowen
(865) 984-3583
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/default.htm

David Clements
276-238-8761
http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

Ben Forkin
406-547-2344
mailto:forkins@ttc-cmc.net

John Gallagher
(205) 384-5229

Alan Harton used to work on Rugers but does not do them anymore. He is now only working on Colts.

There might be a couple of more come along. Let me strongly suggest that you do, get a proper trigger job. You will not regret it. Having a clean breaking smooth trigger, helps in the accuracy department.

Charles

#180415 - 04/23/17 12:56 AM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: cherokeetracker]
Yetiman
stranger

Loc: SE Wi

I have a Bisley Hunter that I like... A LOT !

I had mine worked on by David Clements and can't say enough good stuff about his work. I had a good bit more than a trigger job done, and turn around was exactly what he quoted at the time (8 weeks).

But for just a trigger job (and almost anything more) I would just as highly recommend Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing), and he will probably have faster turn around time.

I recently sent my Redhawk to Jack for a trigger/action job and was totally satisfied with the job, the cost and the fast turn around (like 2 weeks).

He also did grips (fitted to my hand) and a frame mod on my Bisley Hunter.

As Cherokeetracker said above, I haven't touched the main spring on my Hunter (the hammer spring) but have installed a lighter Wolff trigger return spring. Theynbhave a couple different weights. I settled on the 40 oz spring, not the lighter 30 oz.

JRH - http://www.jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com/contact-us/

You will want to call and talk to Jack, he doesn't really do email.

#180418 - 04/23/17 09:50 AM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: Yetiman]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Don't be afraid to send off your gun to have it worked on. Sent you a PM

#180439 - 04/23/17 03:12 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: Ernie]
bamabow

Thanks guys for all the feedback. Appreciate all of it.
Bamabow

#180440 - 04/23/17 03:34 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: bamabow]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

We are confessed enablers....
;\)

#180451 - 04/23/17 10:59 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: Ernie]
Handgun400
enthusiast

Loc: Arkansas

I have a SRH that came with an absolutely terrible trigger. I purchased a spring kit from Wolf and it has made all of the difference in the world. Group sizes cut way down, confidence way up.

#180460 - 04/24/17 08:55 AM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: Yetiman]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Yetiman
I have a Bisley Hunter that I like... A LOT !

I had mine worked on by David Clements and can't say enough good stuff about his work. I had a good bit more than a trigger job done, and turn around was exactly what he quoted at the time (8 weeks).

But for just a trigger job (and almost anything more) I would just as highly recommend Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing), and he will probably have faster turn around time.

I recently sent my Redhawk to Jack for a trigger/action job and was totally satisfied with the job, the cost and the fast turn around (like 2 weeks).

He also did grips (fitted to my hand) and a frame mod on my Bisley Hunter.

As Cherokeetracker said above, I haven't touched the main spring on my Hunter (the hammer spring) but have installed a lighter Wolff trigger return spring. Theynbhave a couple different weights. I settled on the 40 oz spring, not the lighter 30 oz.

JRH - http://www.jrhadvancedgunsmithing.com/contact-us/

You will want to call and talk to Jack, he doesn't really do email.

This would be my recommendation as well. While all of the smiths spoken of here will get it done and done well, Huntington will turn it around quickly and he is reasonably priced. You can also be assured it will be done right.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#180474 - 04/24/17 05:19 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: Whitworth]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

i would second and third jack huntington. never had a ruger trigger so good. good price and quick turn around, by quick i mean a few weeks and that counted taking off my barrel and giving it a good reverse crown and checking throats etc, all for less than i was quoted by other pistol smiths. if you call him jack will talk to ya but will let you know he's gotta get working, cuz he works and gets the jobs done and out the door. i cannot recommend him enough.

#180490 - 04/24/17 10:00 PM Re: Action job / trigger job [Re: tradmark]
sw282
enthusiast

Loc: CSRA of GA/SC

bama--Shoot a thousand rds thru it... Keeping count and good

notes...Then ask this question again..

Page 1 of 2 12>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
6 registered (Duke3026, briarhopper, Mech 8, Boot, KYODE, WiseGuy) and 119 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
TCTex.
jamesfromjersey
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
johnwilliams
pab1
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
Perseverance Pays
Perseverance Pays Off

Hogs and Deer: Wor
Hogs and Deer: World's Apart

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.021 seconds in which 0.001 seconds were spent on a total of 15 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.