Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180040 - 04/04/17 04:35 PM Lots of very important work to do....
Craig44

The weather has been unseasonably warm, which has meant a lot of time spent on the porch while I smoke cigars, drink coffee and go through the publications from SCI and DSC that have accumulated over the last several months. So you could say I've been on a 'bit' of an Africa kick as of late, ordering more books and videos like a madman. Not the least of which involved a call to Mark Sullivan to order his whole collection, including autographed copies of both books, the latest a deluxe leatherbound edition. Today I noticed the pile that has been growing in my office. When I started gathering it all to start filing it away, I realized how much I had amassed in just the last month or so and that yes, I 'may' have a problem.

#180043 - 04/04/17 05:40 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Craig44]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Expert

Loc: Colorado

Send some this way! I'll start reading, then give you a complete book report when I'm done!!!

AWESOME!!!! My falconry library was like that, till I sold a lot of them to new falconers just getting started. Figured I had read them a hundred times, so it was time to pass them on to new flyers that could use the knowledge!

If you don't carry in condition 1, you don't carry a gun, you carry a bullet holder.

#180047 - 04/04/17 10:21 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Raptortrapper]
ruger4570
journeyman

Loc: Illinois

Don't know if you have been there or are planning on going for first time, but an excellent short read is "Africa the First Time" by P.H. Jim Hackiewicz.

I spoke with Craig Boddington before I went on a safari, and one really good piece of advice he gave me was to wear my hunting boots on the flight over or at least put them in my carry on bag. You can borrow clothes and even a gun over there, but good luck finding a pair of boots that fit.

#180052 - 04/05/17 11:17 AM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: ruger4570]
Craig44

What a generous offer!
;\)

That's great advice. Got some Russell PH boots on order and was going to thoroughly break them in before going. I had actually booked a safari back in `06 but due to some miscommunication, an airline SNAFU and what I thought was somewhat unethical behavior on the part of the PH, it never happened. A year later I was moving 750miles north and life has taken care of the rest. I am now at the point where I'm planning on book a plains game hunt in the next couple years. Maybe buffalo, leopard or elephant after that. For now, I'm immersed in that pile.

#180055 - 04/05/17 06:35 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Craig44]
Walkingthemup
enthusiast

Just don't expect the hunt to bear any resemblance to the stories in the books. It's a great experience and I want to return, but you have to manage your expectations. The Africa of old has well and truly disappeared.

#180059 - 04/05/17 08:58 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Craig44]
NHSHTR
journeyman

Loc: NH

Ahhh, sitting on the porch smoking cigars, drinking (coffee sometimes) and reading favorite stories is one of life's pleasantries!
Best of luck reading and planning for your hunt!

#180074 - 04/07/17 02:07 AM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: NHSHTR]
tradmark
Pooh-Bah

Great collection. I hope u have the whole capatick collection as well. Sullivans videos are just awesome! I am gonna order the whole
Lot as well

#180089 - 04/07/17 03:03 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: tradmark]
Craig44

Originally Posted By: Walkingthemup
Just don't expect the hunt to bear any resemblance to the stories in the books. It's a great experience and I want to return, but you have to manage your expectations. The Africa of old has well and truly disappeared.

Oh I know. I think about that as I read about the old days. There's nowhere in Africa where you could relive any part of it, with any amount of money.

Originally Posted By: NHSHTR
Ahhh, sitting on the porch smoking cigars, drinking (coffee sometimes) and reading favorite stories is one of life's pleasantries!

Amen!

Originally Posted By: tradmark
Great collection. I hope u have the whole capatick collection as well. Sullivans videos are just awesome! I am gonna order the whole
Lot as well

I have most of his books in the regular hardcover editions and have read several of them but just found that they had done them in leather too. Starting to accumulate them as well. I also bought his DVD collection back in `05.

Sullivan's videos are excellent and improved with time. Although a pleasant surprise was "Giants in the Jesse" with Buzz Charlton. It's a Bluray disc, filmed entirely in HD and the most gorgeous hunting video I've ever seen. Great footage of not just the hunt but of the scenery as well. The Ivan Carter stuff is also excellent, which is to be expected. DSC does a good job.

I have a whole bunch of other books not pictured. This is just the most recent additions.
;\)

#180112 - 04/09/17 02:28 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Craig44]
Gregg Richter Moderator
Shooting Master

Loc: Pine, Colorado

Craig, AWESOME COLLECTION! Iam a wee bit jealous....but know that I could probably amass a similar collection (I have one but not with as many great African books)

(:

The only man smarter than a wise old coyote is the one that gets him.

#180113 - 04/09/17 03:07 PM Re: Lots of very important work to do.... [Re: Gregg Richter]
Craig44

Thanks! I think I need a 12 step program.

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
9 registered (500WE, Handgun400, Mark Hampton, cmnash, Franchise, Brenden, 2 invisible) and 123 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
TCTex.
jamesfromjersey
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
johnwilliams
pab1
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
Most Challenging S
Most Challenging Sport?

Sika in the Rain
Sika in the Rain

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.045 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.