Page 1 of 1 1
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179921 - 03/31/17 04:49 PM How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol?
spinsail
stranger

Loc: SC

I'm not sure I am using the correct terminology but I am referring to pistols like the Encore and the various bolt action pistols.

I have not read all of the articles yet but a question has come to mind that I have not yet seen mentioned. Is it possible to shoot a scoped specialty pistol offhand?

I read the article on field positions and see photos of guys using an Encore with shooting sticks or braced against a tree. I assume prone with a backpack or bipod rest are also good choices. But I prefer to still hunt and the brush pretty much rules out any prone or sitting shots. I know I can still use sticks or a tree but I am curious whether the balance and weight of these pistols allows effective offhand shots.

I have no experience with scoped handguns so I also wonder about eye relief if one can, in fact, shoot offhand but I will make that a separate question for another thread.

#179922 - 03/31/17 05:21 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: spinsail]
AK hgunner1
addict

Loc: 49th. State

I wobble....But every now and then I get the gun to stay still long enough.

A rest is best....

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD

#179924 - 03/31/17 05:31 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: spinsail]
karl
enthusiast

Loc: Minnesota

Eye relief depends on the scope. Handgun scopes typically have enough eye relief that you HAVE to hold the gun at arm's length. Some folks here use rifle scopes, find their target and then back off the scope some before shooting (typically, low/no recoil setups with muzzle breaks). Google the "taco pistol hold"

You can definitely shoot off hand with an contender or encore but the wisdom of doing so depends on range of the target (and size of the target) and how the specific pistol is setup. 10" barrels work fine, 14" or longer barrels are tougher. High magnification scopes are tough, but that's why zooms are popular.

Those who still hunt tend towards shorter barrel guns while those who's style accommodates rests have more options.

To add to Charlie, with lots of practice, you can learn to time your shot to your wobbles.

Edited by karl (03/31/17 05:34 PM)

#179925 - 03/31/17 06:02 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: karl]
TXBRASS

Loc: TX

I prefer a blind, hide, or perch where I can get a good solid rest, spot for bipod, or bag set-up. Even if I spot and stalk, I look for a place to accomplish this in what I feel is a "honey-hole" of a spot. I do practice at and therefore can shoot off hand standing, if the shot was absolutely necessary, but it's not my first pick.

http://www.codyweiser.com

- SHORT STICK BANG GANG -

#179931 - 03/31/17 07:15 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: TXBRASS]
wvhitman
addict

Loc: WV

Practice offhand and you can shoot off hand. I did pig hunting in FL a few months ago. They were so wild I had very little chance to use my BogPod with PSR rest( which works fantastic while standing. I did a deer last year at 581 yards off it with my 6.5/.284 Encore). I ended up taking pigs from 60-80 yards off hand with my 6.5/.284 XP and .375/.284 XP off hand.
How so? I shoot a lot of animals and every trip to the local shooting range I shoot at a 8" rock at 110 yards offhand with whatever guns I have. Three days ago I hit it with my 6" Smith .500 and .416 Taylor Encore with the first shot.
Practice, practice.

#179934 - 03/31/17 07:39 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: wvhitman]
ruger4570

Loc: Illinois

To me a red dot is easier to shoot offhand with than with a scope. However a scope will tend to be more accurate to shoot with. As said much practice helps to do so. I shot a coyote offhand using my 12" Encore 44 using a one point sling from the grip and around my neck. This was with a Nikon 2x scope.

I try to always rest my handguns when I can. I use shooting sticks mostly.

#179935 - 03/31/17 09:50 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: spinsail]
billa
addict

Loc: Central PA

I always use a rest when possible. Tree, log, rock, BogPod, etc.
I carry my Contender on a long sling hanging around my neck and under my shooting arm with the barrel forward. If adjusted correctly you can pull up and shoot offhand with the sling tight. This really helps to steady your hold. I have shot quite a bit of game offhand with this method.
Matthew 28:19

Handgun hunter since 1979 - haven't used a rifle since!
HHI member #992, NRA, SCI.

#179937 - 03/31/17 10:41 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: spinsail]
s4s4u
Shootist

Loc: Northern MN

content Online
 Quote:
I am curious whether the balance and weight of these pistols allows effective offhand shots.

The balance is relative to the barrel length. A 10" barreled Contender handles much like a revolver. Even longer barrels can be mastered with a bit of practice. I also often use a sling to help steady my shot with a Contender. A midgrip bolt gun balances well also, again depending upon barrel length. Shooting with a scope takes some practice and depending on the X's, learning to deal with the wobble. Lower power scopes and red dot sights show less wobble than higher X's but the wobble is the same. Scopes vary greatly in eye relief from make to make and model to model, whereas red dots have unlimited eye relief which makes them popular for quick and/or offhand shooting. As it goes with getting proficient at anything, practice, practice. practice.

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

#179938 - 03/31/17 10:42 PM Re: How Do You Hunt With A Specialty Pistol? [Re: billa]
sixshot
enthusiast

With any handgun you have to adapt to the terrain & the animals you are hunting & that means you usually need more than one way of shooting. Most all of us use some type of rest & shoot offhand only when we have to. It can be shooting sticks, a back back, a walking stick (elk) a Trigger Stick, Bog Pod, etc. One year I shot a bull elk with my Custom Encore 308 Using the Sierra 135 gr. Single Shot pistol bullet, drug him down into the shade, gutted him, cut the head off & packet it to my 4 wheeler. I had shot him at about 140-50 yds I think from the prone position off my back back while lying in the snow. I started down the mountain & jumped a fork horn muley buck & shot him off hand with my Encore 250 Ackley Imp. with an 85 gr. Nolser Ballistic Tip. It was the one & only shot I had so I took it. The distance was about 60-70 yds. You can see my pistol box underneath the buck, the other gun is hanging on the 4 wheeler.

Dick

Page 1 of 1 1

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
7 registered (Whitworth, possumcop, magman, tyler.woodard04, TN Lone Wolf, PythonHunter, 1 invisible) and 87 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
jamesfromjersey
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
pab1
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
Good Day/ Bad Day
Good Day/ Bad Day

Project Bisley
Project Bisley

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.042 seconds in which 0.008 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.