Page 2 of 3 <123>
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179907 - 03/31/17 09:16 AM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Ernie]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
I've been using Negrini cases exclusively over the last few years and they are light, thin, and really strong.

TSA will typically lock it in front of you for the last time before it is cleared.

This is the rig I used when I went to Argentina a few years ago.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#179916 - 03/31/17 02:04 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Whitworth]
thadf

Loc: Missouri

This is good to know info. Thanks for posting this stuff.

#179919 - 03/31/17 03:53 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Ernie]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#179923 - 03/31/17 05:23 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: jamesfromjersey]
AK hgunner1
addict

Loc: 49th. State

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
never had a problem flying out of Newark, NJ in all my years of hunting with a handgun......

Hi James...
Must have been the Alaska drivers license and my badge....

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD

#179926 - 03/31/17 06:02 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: AK hgunner1]
jamesfromjersey Moderator
Shootist

Loc: New Jersey

Charlie, you are one in a million......
;\)
Member-HHI #2900-HHASA #067
Colt-Ruger-Freedom Arms-and S&W Collector Assoc.s
"I have more guns then I need but not as many as I want" "Handgun hunters HAVE to be good"

#180147 - 04/11/17 06:07 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: jamesfromjersey]
98Redline
addict

Loc: Eastern PA

Where are you guys flying out of where the TSA has your firearm and unlocked bag/case?

Per the TSA web page the firearm owner/passenger should be the only person to ever have control of the keys and access to the interior of the bag.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

Years ago, they used to take the keys from you and "inspect" the firearm case, however that should not be the case now. The owner/passenger should unlock and add the "Unloaded" tag to the bag, lock the bag, and the ticket agent should take the bag down to the TSA for them to X-Ray. Neither TSA or the airline is legally allowed to open the case or have possession of your keys.

#180270 - 04/17/17 10:02 AM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: 98Redline]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Austin, TX USA

I haven't had any troubles flying with guns since 911. Main difference was that everyone got training at the ticket counter. I usually fly 3-4 times per year with a gun or guns and I always put the ammo in the same case as the gun. The only place that is a pain in the arse is Denver airport and that's only because TSA is full of it... If you ever have trouble with a ticket agent just ask to speak with a supervisor.

#180271 - 04/17/17 01:46 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Gary]
Spencer
enthusiast

Loc: Central NY

I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.

#180365 - 04/20/17 06:03 PM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Spencer]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Austin, TX USA

Originally Posted By: Spencer
I've flown out of Syracuse to Arizona, Nevada and Wyoming with mine. No issue at all. TSA had ME unlock the case to show it was unloaded with the slip in in then I locked it back up. They put it in my bag and locked up my bag. The handgun case must travel in a locked suitcase. I do not think a duffel bag is allowed.
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.

#180372 - 04/21/17 09:59 AM Re: Flying with a gun as checked baggage [Re: Gary]
KRal
Distinguished Master

Loc: MS

Originally Posted By: Gary
 Originally Posted By: Spencer
I never lock the suit case only the case the guns are in and they have never said a word about it.

I've always put my case in a suitcase or duffle bag just so it's not obvious what it is, but I'm purdy sure it's not a requirement. It'd be hard to get a rifle case inside a suitcase or duffle bag.
;\)

Page 2 of 3 <123>

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
7 registered (Whitworth, possumcop, magman, tyler.woodard04, TN Lone Wolf, PythonHunter, 1 invisible) and 87 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
wapitirod
jamesfromjersey
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Tigger
Ernie
Dan B.
pab1
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
TN Lone Wolf
Raptortrapper
  Member Hunts
Alaskan Spring Bla
Alaskan Spring Black Bear

Handgun Hunting De
Handgun Hunting Deer

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.01 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.