Page 3 of 3 <123
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179733 - 03/25/17 05:45 PM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: rougerocco]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

One of each. You can never have too many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
remember. HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOYS WINS!!!!!!
PROUD MEMBER OF THE ENABLERS UNION.

#179735 - 03/25/17 06:47 PM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: junebug]
AK hgunner1
addict

Loc: Last Frontier

Good one junebug....

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called the sons of GOD

#179736 - 03/25/17 07:12 PM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: AK hgunner1]
Ernie
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Gillette, Wyoming

Originally Posted By: AK hgunner1
 Originally Posted By: Ernie
Go with a 357 Mag 158 XTP HP's for Deer and smaller pigs or the Swift bullet for bigger/tougher stuff.
Easy to shoot.

x2

Ernie must be trying to get on my good side.Wait..... Ernie was never on my bad side.

A properly loaded .357 and good shot placement will get 'er done for sure. I use four inch .357's loaded to almost max loads and although they do bark and bite on the opposite end they are easy on the hands. Especially if you have double carpal tunnel like me.

I just use my 357 Mag for steel, pd's, deer, and antelope.
Easy stuff to kill.
After some more extended distance steel shooting, I am going to have my FR barrel shortened or just get another one with a shorter barrel......

#179759 - 03/26/17 06:51 PM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: Ernie]
rougerocco
journeyman

Loc: Michigan

Well I might have a new gun, My friend has a Ruger Bisley .45 he has been trying to sell. I can get it cheap! I am going to the range this week to shoot it.

#179774 - 03/27/17 10:46 AM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: rougerocco]
Yetiman
stranger

Loc: SE Wi

Another thing to consider is some custom grips.

I have a 44 mag Bisley Hunter that I have been using for a while now. I also have a SRH in 44 mag and always found it more comfortable to shoot hotter loads with the Hogue Tamers on the SRH.

Last month I sent my Bisley gripframe to Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing) to have custom grips made and for his frame modification which removes some metal from the frame for a more hand friendly fit.

You submit a tracing of your hand with the gripframe like you would for a set of Herret grips, and the panels are made to fit.

The work was done FAST (2 1/2 weeks door to door) and the results were surprising. The other day I was shooting the Bisley back to back with my SRH using the same loads and the Bisley is now more comfortable than the Hogues on the SRH.

#179776 - 03/27/17 10:57 AM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: Yetiman]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
 Originally Posted By: Yetiman

I have a 44 mag Bisley Hunter that I have been using for a while now. I also have a SRH in 44 mag and always found it more comfortable to shoot hotter loads with the Hogue Tamers on the SRH.

Last month I sent my Bisley gripframe to Jack Huntington (JRH Advanced Gunsmithing) to have custom grips made and for his frame modification which removes some metal from the frame for a more hand friendly fit.

You submit a tracing of your hand with the gripframe like you would for a set of Herret grips, and the panels are made to fit.

The work was done FAST (2 1/2 weeks door to door) and the results were surprising. The other day I was shooting the Bisley back to back with my SRH using the same loads and the Bisley is now more comfortable than the Hogues on the SRH.

Yup. I've been preaching this for years and it is so true. Here is my old .500 JRH Bisley's custom grips with fame mods by JRH.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

#179797 - 03/27/17 04:46 PM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: Whitworth]
rougerocco
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Whitworth
 Originally Posted By: Yetiman

Yup. I've been preaching this for years and it is so true. Here is my old .500 JRH Bisley's custom grips with fame mods by JRH.

Sweet Looking!!!

#179866 - 03/29/17 10:54 AM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: rougerocco]
rougerocco
journeyman

So I went to the range and shot the Bisley .45
WOW! smooth comfortable and hitting a small group off hand too!!
My friend is giving me a sweet deal on it too. I might have to get a SRH Bisley hunter .44 too!! You guys started something here....

#179867 - 03/29/17 11:05 AM Re: Looking at New Hunting Gun [Re: rougerocco]
Whitworth
Shootist

Loc: Virginia

content Online
 Originally Posted By: rougerocco
So I went to the range and shot the Bisley .45
WOW! smooth comfortable and hitting a small group off hand too!!
My friend is giving me a sweet deal on it too. I might have to get a SRH Bisley hunter .44 too!! You guys started something here....

Haha! Excellent! Happy to hear that you like the revolver and it seems to like you!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Page 3 of 3 <123

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Dan B., ClayFHT, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
5 registered (Whitworth, JDK, Tca126, ahandgunhunter, wyote) and 71 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
Dan B.
pab1
TN Lone Wolf
johnwilliams
Gregg Richter
Franchise
  Member Hunts
Ten Tips for Buyin
Ten Tips for Buying Hunting Gear

454 Eland
454 Eland

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.043 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.