Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#173084 - 09/19/16 09:41 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: PsTaN]
glynn41
journeyman

Loc: tenn

I come here Monday thru Fri every week--
rarely post-- I hunt with my handguns-- a lot during our deer season here in TENN.
sadly I seem to see deer when I have my .358 Win rifle... not my handguns--
just shooting is fun for me and not as messy as field dressing
\:\)

I cast both hollow points and soft points my two calibers-.500 GNR and several .41's of various kinds
this is a very good forum and pleasure to read after

#173208 - 09/21/16 07:11 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Chance Weldon]
reflex264
Pooh-Bah

Alright Ron. I know you have read this thread by know. Pull up a log and join in. We don't bite. Well maybe some do but they probably don't have rabies.

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

#173213 - 09/21/16 07:29 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: reflex264]
pab1
Distinguished Expert

Loc: SW Montana

Originally Posted By: reflex264
Well maybe some do but they probably don't have rabies.

To be fair I'm still waiting on my test results.
;\)

#177449 - 01/12/17 05:46 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: pab1]
rougerocco
journeyman

Loc: Michigan

I know this is an old topic, but I am a lurker! I check this site every day!
Now a little about me, I have owned handguns and carried them hunting for 30 yrs. A couple of years ago I decided I really want to shoot a deer with my SRH .480. So I quit carrying my long gun here in Michigan. No deer yet, but I am going on a hog hunt in Ohio in March. I have been reading and OVER analyzing bullets and loads for this up coming hunt. But I enjoying reading and learning about this like this. Thank You All for your input.

#177453 - 01/12/17 06:39 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: rougerocco]
junebug
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bardstown ,Ky

Welcome to the madness.Just hang in there and keep practicing and it will happen.And remember there are no dumb questions, if you want to learn just ask.

#177528 - 01/14/17 02:27 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: sixshot]
Gregg Richter Administrator
Distinguished Expert

Loc: Pine, Colorado

content Online
 Originally Posted By: sixshot
To all you new guys, each one of us was in your shoes once too. Maybe it was a long time ago but nobody was born doing it so don't be embarrassed if you haven't shot anything but cans or paper targets, we all started somewhere pretty easy.
First thing is, don't over gun yourself with heavy loads or long distance, either one will ruin your confidence & take much longer to learn the basics.
Hitting is fun so use a load that is comfortable to shoot & do it at a distance that challenges you a bit but make sure you are getting 80-90% hits before moving out.
A good trigger is an absolute must, without it you will chase it & flinch most of the time if you are shooting offhand. Much better to have a good gunsmith do a good trigger job on your gun, you will love it.
Don't fall for the old "poor man's trigger job" hooey on a new model Ruger, get a real trigger job. Those 2 springs are on there for a reason & dropping one off is not going to give you a good trigger, lighter maybe but it will not fix a bad trigger, only a gunsmith can do that.
Bullet choice is always a toss up but shooting cast is cheaper, especially if you cast your own. Some of the best hunters in the world only use jacketed so you'll have to decide when the time comes. For deer about anything works with good bullet placement.
Front sight is key, for many narrowing the front helps a great deal, most factory fronts are .125" wide, maybe a friend has one that's been narrowed so you can compare.
Don't play when you practice, try to make every shot count, no messing around. Good trigger, see the front sight, break the shot & hit the target, 10,000 times & you're on your way to a good start.

Dick

Guess I missed this the first time around...I was hunting muzzleloader season heavily with my Encore 209X50 pistol.

I think Dick said it well...

\:\)

#178037 - 01/22/17 05:22 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: guitarbob]
Foolish
stranger

I lurked and just made an account but I dont feel like posting because I dont know what to add. I read this article that my friend showed me that's a Glock 19 review which some of you may like http://gunivore.com/pistol/glock-19-gen-4-review-2015/

#178089 - 01/22/17 09:26 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Foolish]
bowmag

Loc: Texas

I've been around for a few years but was primarily a bow hunter, so I never had much to contribute. But as I have gotten older the injuries are adding up and taking a toll on my ability to shoot traditional hunting weight bows. I have always had handguns around but only recently have I gotten more serious about shooting enough to be able to hunt with them. I have learned a lot from y'all and do appreciate your willingness to share.

#181261 - 06/06/17 09:32 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: bowmag]
Newt
journeyman

Loc: Burnet, Texas

I know this is an old thread, but here goes nothing. Been a member here for a while and have done a lot of reading. I bought a Ruger SBH for a Christmas present a couple years ago. Topped it with a Leupold 2X scope. Shot it a lot with 240 gr XTPs. Killed a hog with it. Then I took it deer hunting, but for some reason, I just couldn't pull the trigger on the deer. Lack of confidence i suppose. Rediculous, I know. Anyway, I got frustrated with it. I picked it back up this spring and have practicing from field positions a lot. I've decided to leave the rifles at home this year and hunt exclusively with my .44 mag.

I have done quite a bit of squirrel hunting with my Ruger Mark III. Also took it with me on a prairie dog hunt this spring and shot a couple at 25 to 50 yards. Great fun.

I agree with everyone else, this is a great site.

Pat

#181262 - 06/06/17 10:02 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Newt]
s4s4u
Shootist

Loc: Northern MN

content Online
If you are hitting rodents @ 50 yards I'd say you are up to the task when it comes to bigger targets like deer. Do as you said and leave the long gun in the rack. I look forward to seeing the pic of your harvest ;-)

Short cuts often lead to long recoveries.

Page 4 of 7 « First<23456>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
4 registered (karl, Whitworth, Paul_H, 1 invisible) and 177 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
Rifle Scopes On Sp
Rifle Scopes On Specialty Handguns

Mag-Na-Port Custom
Mag-Na-Port Custom Super Blackhawk

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.014 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.