Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#172586 - 09/06/16 06:27 PM To all lurkers
reflex264
Pooh-Bah

Pull up a log to fire and join in. Tell us about your handgun hunts successful or not. I already know there are several of you because I have talked to you. Everyone here is just one of the boys. I haven't seen any prima donnas around here lately. Its true you can read the post here and learn a lot about handgun hunting but we might learn something from you as well. I have been at it for 35 years and I still learn all the time. If you have killed a doe we want to hear about it. This is one sight that when people tell you they are glad you are here they mean it. Join in!

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

#172589 - 09/06/16 06:44 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: reflex264]
Raptortrapper
Shooting Expert

Loc: Colorado

Originally Posted By: reflex264
If you have killed a doe we want to hear about it.

...or a squirrel, coon, rabbit, chipmunk, mouse, opossum, coon, 'yote, crow, Hillary... I mean COW, prairie dog, skunk, Pelosi... I mean PIG, aardvark, platypus, badger, Obama... I mean JACKASS, cape buffalo, alligator, ox, wolf, democrat... I mean RAT, weasel, fox, elk, deer, moose...

We'd love to hear the story, and have ya join the group!

#172624 - 09/06/16 11:33 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Raptortrapper]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Master

Loc: Austin, TX USA

I'll second reflex's sentiment. I honestly feel like this is one of the best sites on the net for hunting information and general camaraderie. We have always had very little troubles with trolls and other such vermin because I believe we are a cut above. Not to disparage others, but not everyone had what it takes to be a handgun hunter. Of course we've had a few issues over what has now been almost 17 years but the neerdowells don't last very long here mainly because we would rather ignore them than engage in the battle on their terms.

Well done everyone!

Gary

#172626 - 09/06/16 11:56 PM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Gary]
pab1
Distinguished Expert

Loc: SW Montana

Originally Posted By: Gary
I'll second reflex's sentiment. I honestly feel like this is one of the best sites on the net for hunting information and general camaraderie. We have always had very little troubles with trolls and other such vermin because I believe we are a cut above. Not to disparage others, but not everyone had what it takes to be a handgun hunter. Of course we've had a few issues over what has now been almost 17 years but the neerdowells don't last very long here mainly because we would rather ignore them than engage in the battle on their terms.

Well done everyone!

Gary

Could not agree more! Well said!

#172632 - 09/07/16 05:18 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: pab1]
REDHAWK1954
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Statesville NC

The guys on this site have been a big help to me since I joined!

#172639 - 09/07/16 08:31 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: REDHAWK1954]
Teep
journeyman

Loc: MO

I've been lurking for a while. Last year I decided to get back into handgun hunting and purchased a pair of S&W revolvers, a 617 and 686. I quickly discovered my skills do not belong in the field so have been practising until I feel comfortable enough to make a clean shot on game. I think some rabbits are going to be on the table this winter though.

#172641 - 09/07/16 08:56 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Teep]
reflex264
Pooh-Bah

Very few things are more fun than chasing small game with a handgun. Have at it and post some pics.

I was a handgun hunter, when handgun wasn't cool.....

#172654 - 09/07/16 09:59 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Teep]
Gary Administrator
Distinguished Master

Loc: Austin, TX USA

Originally Posted By: Teep
I've been lurking for a while. Last year I decided to get back into handgun hunting and purchased a pair of S&W revolvers, a 617 and 686. I quickly discovered my skills do not belong in the field so have been practising until I feel comfortable enough to make a clean shot on game. I think some rabbits are going to be on the table this winter though.
I love squirrel hunting with a revolver. Wish we had more of them around here. Oddly in the hill-country they are not considered game animals and thus open season all year.

#172655 - 09/07/16 10:52 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: REDHAWK1954]
archr610
enthusiast

Loc: Eastern Pennsylvania

Originally Posted By: REDHAWK1954
The guys on this site have been a big help to me since I joined!

X2

#172656 - 09/07/16 11:05 AM Re: To all lurkers [Re: Gary]
guitarbob
stranger

Hello, my name is Bob. And, I'm a lurker. Actually, I joined the forum a while back. Then, between all the other hunting, fishing, and guitar forums I'm a member of, I kinda forgot about it. Fortunately for me, I recently re-found the forum.

I'm 61, and didn't start hunting seriously until about 10 years ago. So, trying to make up for lost time. My primary deer hinting rifle has been my Savage 110 in .270. Love the rifle, and the caliber. And, it's done a fine job.

However, my fondness for lever action rifles, and single action revolvers brought me to the desire to hunt more with both. I have 30-30, .35 Rem, and 45/70 in the levers. And, .357, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, and .45 Long Colt in the SA revolvers. The goal this season is to set the Savage aside, and hunt with the levers, and revolvers.

Actually sat in the deer blind a couple of years ago with my Super Blackhawk with the intention of shooting a doe. However, I was interrupted when my son started texting me that he had downed his first buck, a dandy 10 point. My doe hunt was interrupted.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts in this forum, and do plan to be more involved. One thing I seem to find conflicting opinions on is handgun hunting ammo. I read of guys hunting hogs with hollow points. But, I've read a lot of opinions that hollow points don't get the penetration needed for hogs hunting. Hard cast seems to be the preferred projectile. Even for deer, I have read that hard cast is the way to go.

I'd like to hear more from the handgun hunters here regarding that argument. The proof is in the results, as they say.

Anyway, thanks for the invite reflex!

Page 1 of 7 12345>Last »

Moderator:  Gary, jamesfromjersey, Chance Weldon, Gregg Richter 
Hop to:
 Portal Sidebar
Who's Online
5 registered (FFguide, Zee, KYODE, AKBman, s4s4u) and 148 anonymous users online.
Top Posters
s4s4u
Whitworth
jamesfromjersey
wapitirod
TCTex.
KRal
Gary
Ernie
Tigger
pab1
Dan B.
Chance Weldon
Gregg Richter
Franchise
johnwilliams
  Member Hunts
The Fantastic Free
The Fantastic Freedom Arms 654

My Time With Bill
My Time With Bill Grover

Access Requires Login

Generated in 0.046 seconds in which 0.009 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

Copyright © 2000-2008
HandgunHunt.com, Inc.