wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/04/08 12:53 AM
Northwestern Blast and Blab

we are starting to get enough guys out here on the west coast to have our own day or two of shooting, are any of you guys out here on the left coast interested. we would have to see how many people are interested and then dive into the logistics, personally I know of two ranges that would work. One range is run by Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association in Bend and you have to be a member, we do have one member on the forum. The other range is in Southern Oregon and is a large outdoor facility open to the public and run by the county. Let me know if any of you guys are interested and maybe we can put something together for the summer, i'll be down on my back for a while so I can do some research.
Thanks,
Rod

Revolver
(enthusiast)
02/04/08 04:40 AM
Re: Northwestern Blast and Blab

Im interested. I live only a few hours away form Bend.

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/04/08 10:48 PM

I know there are more northwesterners than just us two

Revolver
(enthusiast)
02/05/08 01:55 AM

guess we're the last of a dying breed.

c'mon guys, this could be a good chance to share stories, tips, show off your beloved handguns, and have a good time.

rupe
(veteran)
02/05/08 12:08 PM

Well now there is 3 from the PNW. (Hum Musketeers,never mind.lol) I would be interrested but I don't know where I will be at that time. I'm recovering from an operation. We are living on a tight budget at the moment. I'm hoping that will change soon. I'm also the coordinator for the Oregon Chapter of a 4 wheel drive club. So I have to work things around it as well. I didn't now that being retired/disabled would keep me so busy. Isn't retirement for relaxing with a drink in your hand sitting on a beach under an umbrella? Or sitting in a bush freezing waiting for the perfect shot? (My kind of retirement).

moonshine44
(newbie)
02/06/08 01:20 PM

I think it'd be fun but I work full time and ranch on the side, so chances are pretty slim that I'd make it.

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/06/08 03:02 PM

well as soon as we figure out just exactly how many people are interested maybe we can come up with a schedule and location that would work for everyone.

rupe
(veteran)
02/06/08 03:56 PM

Yes that would be cool.

bare-hunter
(journeyman)
02/06/08 11:01 PM

wow Iam already planing what new barrel I need to buy for the shoot.Is there a place to camp by the ranges.

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/06/08 11:13 PM

both of the ranges have camping nearby but as things roll along and we figure out for sure where we'd be going I can give you more specifics.

huntkng
(addict)
02/11/08 11:16 AM

Hi Wapitirod,

I was president, Vice President and a board member of COSSA (Central Oregon Shooting Sports Association) in the past. There is a day use fee available for non members and I can get things moving if you want to use the COSSA range. I can tell you though that it is a very active range and the schedule is filling up quickly. There is dry camping available on site. Depending on the dates we may be able to use the 1000 yard range, but for sure the 500 meter and 200 yard silhouette ranges. We have hosted shoots that have accommodated several hundred shooter from around the world so we wouldn’t have to limit the numbers.

As a side note; I’ll be putting on a 500 meter Big Bore pistol and 200 yard .22 silhouette pistol matches in early June, 2008. That might fill in for what you have in mind.

Bill

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/11/08 04:55 PM

Thanks Bill, so far I think there is only a handfull of us, I know we have some more members on here from the NW but I havn't seen them on here for a little while. I figure I'll wait until after my surgery on the 25th and see if we have anymore takers and then we can see exactly what we have and who could make the trip, it might be that in order to make the most of it we start working on a shoot for next year. I just figured since there are more of us out here now it would be fun, it sounds like the guys back east have a good time with their deal. I'm going to be having my surgery in Bend and will be back and forth alot so maybe we can get together and figure something out.

huntkng
(addict)
02/12/08 11:24 AM

Let me know when you are recovering and I'll stop by the hospital to visit.

Bill

rupe
(veteran)
02/12/08 11:41 AM

I hear he really likes pink flowers. \:D \:D

Wapitirod: How far can you shoot and hit with those revolvers? \:\(

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/12/08 12:32 PM

I'll do Bill, I'll actually only be in the hospital for a day or two but I'll be hanging around town for a week and then I'll be back over fairly regularly for a while. Rupe I like the pink and white flowers. Maximum distance for me with my scoped 475 is about 100 yds comfortably and maybe 50 with the short barreled 475, although I hit my coyote at 115 but there was some (alot) luck there. I'm still playing with the 410 but I think with the 2-6x I should be good for 150 maybe 200 with the lighter bullets on varmints and deer

rupe
(veteran)
02/12/08 01:27 PM

Just wanted to know how far away I should be from you when I make smart*** remarks.

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/12/08 01:30 PM

Nice, I'll just wait till you move to christmas valley and I'll bring you some pets, such as pack rats, they are always fun to get rid of.

TCTex.
(Shootist)
02/12/08 01:30 PM

Behind a steal plate would be better.

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/12/08 01:33 PM

Nice, I'll just wait till you move to christmas valley and I'll bring you some pets, such as pack rats, they are always fun to get rid of.

rupe
(veteran)
02/12/08 01:41 PM

Thank you what a moving in gift. Now be nice and you'll have a place to camp when you want to shoot sage rats. Or mule deer, Elk, Bear, Prong horn, coyotes, Badgers, and snakes (don't expect any help there, I'll be to busy running and screaming like a little girl).

I wonder if my old second chance vest would stop a .475, (One of these days I'm going to see how well it would have worked, could I have a volunteer please?)

wapitirod
(Shootist)
02/12/08 03:51 PM

I guess you missed the posts where I talked about one of my favorite things is shooting rattlers with black powder pistols, the smoke adds an adrenaline rush while you wait to see if you hit it or if it's coming for some payback.

TCTex.
(Shootist)
02/12/08 05:18 PM

Sure, I could shoot the vest!!

rupe
(veteran)
02/12/08 05:52 PM

We I won't go snake hunting with you. Like I was anyway.

TCman no, that's my job, I'm the one that's furnishing the vest.

TCTex.
(Shootist)
02/12/08 07:11 PM

But, but, but that's not fare.

Rupe, Rupe, when I 17 went down to the deer lease a day early, ahead of my Dad, during bow season. When my Dad got there, there were 4 snakes, 2 Copperheads and 2 Water Moccasins that were headless from my hunting knife. My Mother insisted that I bought a .410 barrel for my Contender after that trip!

rupe
(veteran)
02/12/08 08:02 PM

You have a good mother and you need to treat her well and continue listening to her.

rupe
(veteran)
02/15/08 06:31 PM

Wapitirod--Speaking of Eastern Oregon, just read an article while at the Dr. office today, that 43,000 acres of private land openned up for hunters in the Harney and Malheur counties on a special deal between Fish and Game and property owners. Over 20,000 were part of the Roaring springs ranch. If it works out well, maybe we'll get more land over there to hunt.

huntkng
(addict)
02/24/08 10:17 AM

Hey Rupe,

Do you have anymore info on the ODFW deal with Roaring Springs? The last time I was over there the ranch managers had blocked all access on and through their ranch. They even strung barbwire across a road that I'd used for several years; and had previously been open for several decades.

Bill

rupe
(veteran)
02/24/08 04:59 PM

Huntkng- Nope, that was the only thing I saw on it. I don't even remember what mag. is was in. Just a hunting mag.that was at the Doctors office. It might have been in Oregon Hunter or Oregon hunting and fishing mag. I just don't remember sorry. I'll see if I can find anything on line about it. You know I didn't notice the date on it either it could have been new or it could have been 10 years old, I just assumed it was fairly new.

rupe
(veteran)
03/04/08 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: huntkng
Hey Rupe,

Do you have anymore info on the ODFW deal with Roaring Springs? The last time I was over there the ranch managers had blocked all access on and through their ranch. They even strung barbwire across a road that I'd used for several years; and had previously been open for several decades.

Bill

I found the article. It is in the Jan. and Feb. 2008 issue of Oregon Hunter. Page 10 it says Roaring Springs Ranch- A total of 20,137 acres of the Roaring Springs Ranch, located in the Catlow Valley on the westside of Steens Mountain, are open to public hunting access from Aug. 1 through March 1 for the next 10 years. Hunting opportunities on this high desert property include mule deer, pronghorn, upland birds, waterfowl and predators. For mor info. contact ODFW Malheur Watershed District officer in Hines, Oregon at 541 573-6582
It was funny I stopped and bought the mag. on the way upto the cabin we rented for our annv. for a little something to read and found the article that I read the other day at the doc. office.