Buckshotharris
(stranger)
07/12/19 06:11 PM
Handgun Hunting Programs on Outdoor channels.

Hello All, My name is John Harris and I am one of the lurkers you all know are out here observing and not contributing. This is my first post so Be Gentle! Ha!
I just recently started getting an Outdoor Cable Channel that is totally Muzzle Loader, Bow or Rifle hunting. These Shows are all terrific and I watch them way too much and still can't get enough. My reason for this post is to ask: Are there any programs dedicated to Handgun Hunting out there? I know NRA shows and Shooting USA do stories or features about Iconic Handguns and such but I am talking about shows that Only show Stalking and shooting game with handguns of all makes and models. If any exist please inform me. No, I do not consider Youtube a channel. Watched them all. There is not that many anyway. It would be Wonderful to see a show featuring JD Jones in Australia knocking over wild camels and other critters. Or WVHitman popping Groundhogs at long range with a 309 JDJ. I know I watch too much TV, but in SC in July its called self preservation. This is my favorite Site. What do You think?

John Harris

tradmark
(Gun Slinger)
07/12/19 07:24 PM
Re: Handgun Hunting Programs on Outdoor channels.

Itd be great and i hope max prasacs shows comes thru. Awesome stuff filmed. Just get it out there man!!

H2OBUG
(Pooh-Bah)
07/12/19 08:15 PM

Look what Deer Meat For Dinner has done on You Tube

If you go that route there is no need to deal with the big networks.

I watch DMFD, Brooke Christ and Jetti Rocks weekly.

Lots of folks just stream these days I watch network TV for the news and live sports.

I am a old fart too!

Randy M
(old hand)
07/12/19 10:05 PM

First, welcome! Glad you made the jump from lurker to poster.

I doubt there are any shows dedicated solely to handgun hunting, but there are certainly a few that incorporate it occasionally. Americana Outdoors is one for sure. Larry Weishuhn's Trailing the Hunters Moon is another.

wvhitman
(old hand)
07/13/19 12:12 PM

We handgun hunters are the Rodney Dangerfield of the hunting world. "Don't get no respect". Interest in our adventures and hunting style is low on the totem pole of TV shows (which leave a lot to be desired) and manufactures. How many new "practical" handguns have you seen? The Nosler handgun is about it. The revived Rem. handgun is a joke. It's now the world of semiautos and CC revolvers.
When was the last decent handgun scope introduced? The Burris BPlex has been out a good while. I've hounded the major scope makers to introduce a LER "dial" scope. Same answer from all - no market for it.
So, John, seeing anything from or in the media about about our passion will be slim to none in the next few centuries.
Oh, and I could never get anyone to go with me to film the 318 groundhogs I've taken with my .309 JDJ out to 350 yds.

45MAN
(veteran)
07/13/19 02:11 PM

THERE ARE MANY REASONS HANDGUN HUNTING LAGS BEHIND OTHER TYPES OF TAKE, SOME ARE: 1) DIFFICULTY; 2)PRACTICE REQUIRED; 3) LACK OF SPECIAL HANDGUN ONLY SEASONS; AND 4) TOO MANY PLACES WHERE HANDGUNS ARE NOT ALLOWED AND/OR HANDGUN HUNTING IS NOT ALLOWED. THE NRA, TV HUNTING SHOWS AND THE SLICKS TURNED THE AR INTO A "SPORTING/HUNTING" RIFLE BUT WE GET LITTLE HANDGUN HUNTING HELP FROM ANY OF THEM. FRANKLY, I REALLY DON'T CARE ANY MORE, ITS NOT SO BAD BEING A MEMBER OF A SMALL, ELITIST, PASSIONATE AND DEDICATED GROUP OF HANDGUN HUNTERS.

Whitworth
(Shootist)
07/13/19 02:49 PM

Actually one company has steadily invested in handgun hunting and the is Magnum Research. They have consistently made improvements to their revolvers and they offer the largest variety of calibers of any revolver manufacturer, squarely aimed (no pun intended) at handgun hunters. As far as a handgun hunting show is concerned, I?m working on a remedy for the lack of a handgun hunting only show..,

Whitworth
(Shootist)
07/13/19 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By: H2OBUG
Look what Deer Meat For Dinner has done on You Tube

If you go that route there is no need to deal with the big networks.

I watch DMFD, Brooke Christ and Jetti Rocks weekly.

Lots of folks just stream these days I watch network TV for the news and live sports.

I am a old fart too!

I agree. The big outdoor networks are going the way of the Dodo. They are losing viewership at a rapid pace and most younger folks would rather stream.

cherokeetracker
(addict)
07/13/19 03:14 PM

A trip to the LGS resulted in a request for some ammo for hunting. The answer I was given was that first off, I was the only person in 3 months to ask any such thing. Second was Oh we will special order something for you if we can get it or if we do not have to order a whole case.
Point being we are in a very small minority. Very few people even believe that hunting, can even be done with a handgun.

Not sure who all had something to do with the Newer handgun from Nosler, but that was one nice offering. Good point Doc..

Thank You Max, Yes M.R. has been listening and improving and yes, designing new guns for hunting. Look forward to seeing a brand new item in the not too distant future.
The TV shows want to show something that is believable for most of John Q Public. Getting Sponsors may be a problem?

Charles

Buckshotharris
(stranger)
07/13/19 03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. More responses than I expected for my first post. All are very valid and I appreciate them. I just need to get off the TV and get some quality Range time/therapy. Thanks again and Semper Fi!

John Harris

jamesfromjersey
(Shootist)
07/13/19 03:28 PM

Hey buckshot.... just to ease the pain for lack of any handgun hunt shows I just posted a short video of a boar hunt on member videos \:\(

Buckshotharris
(stranger)
07/14/19 08:31 AM

Thanks James, just watched the video. Great shooting! Awesome tusker! i'm originally from Wisconsin and love hunting in the snow. How big was it? Is that a Russian Boar?Filming and shooting simultaneously makes the sport that much harder. "Jersey Redneck"? And tough as .39 cent steak too! LOL!

John Harris

reflex264
(Pooh-Bah)
07/15/19 10:45 AM

I was approached years ago about participating in a handgun hunting show. When all the smoke cleared they decided there wasn't enough interest in handgun hunting.It was strange since one of the sponsors was a handgun manufacturer.

longhunter
(enthusiast)
07/15/19 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Hey buckshot.... just to ease the pain for lack of any handgun hunt shows I just posted a short video of a boar hunt on member videos
\:\(

Ok! color me stupid, where are the member videos located.

Randy M
(old hand)
07/15/19 03:18 PM

http://www.handgunhunt.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/postlist/Board/15/page/1

Gregg RichterAdministrator
(Distinguished Expert)
07/15/19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By: longhunter
 Originally Posted By: jamesfromjersey
Hey buckshot.... just to ease the pain for lack of any handgun hunt shows I just posted a short video of a boar hunt on member videos
\:\(

Ok! color me stupid, where are the member videos located.

Under Forums, scroll down...seventh spot.

KRal
(Shootist)
07/16/19 01:07 AM

....and once you get there, go down to ?display options? and change to ?all dates? and there?s a couple pages worth of videos.

Buckshotharris
(stranger)
07/16/19 08:38 PM

Thanks again for all the comments. Believe it or not just this last weekend I watched Wade Middleton's show using a S&W Revolver and a T/C Encore for whitetails.

Sawfish
(old hand)
08/09/19 04:38 PM

Razor Dobbs has had some interesting shows where he was taking Cape Buffalo with a 10 mm, Dan Wesson 1911.

Franchise
(Distinguished Expert)
08/09/19 06:08 PM

To me, and I know some will disagree.....the Cape Buff hunt, was a joke....first, it's in a country that doesn't allow the importation of semi auto handguns or their use in hunting (keep that in mind) second, its a 10mm...while they may be great for deer and hogs at close range, this is a different beast, and third, everyone around the situation knows that CLIPS of 10mm were dumped into the Buff as were rifle shots. To me this isn't promoting our sport, it makes it seem exactly like what it was....a joke.....it is night and day different from what 99 percent of all handgun hunters would do.

tradmark
(Gun Slinger)
08/09/19 06:17 PM

Thats why i enjoyed max?s so much. Good hunting and put down asap. From first to last was a few seconds and no cuts.

45MAN
(veteran)
08/09/19 08:45 PM

FRANCHISE: YOU NAILED IT, THE 10MM IS NOT A SERIOUS BIG GAME ROUND, THE 500 JRH IS.

Franchise
(Distinguished Expert)
08/09/19 09:42 PM

There is definitely NO comparison between the rounds, not even close to each other.

jamesfromjersey
(Shootist)
08/09/19 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: 45MAN
FRANCHISE: YOU NAILED IT, THE 10MM IS NOT A SERIOUS BIG GAME ROUND, THE 500 JRH IS.

so is every caliber from 44 mag on up...

you know Rey.... its how you use it..
\:D

junebug
(Pooh-Bah)
08/10/19 10:47 AM

If your 41 Mag reads this James, its going to be pissed at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sixshot
(old hand)
08/10/19 01:39 PM

Yes, I would add the 41 magnum with correct bullets, 250 gr up to about 265 grs. My opinion only but I think you can over bullet any caliber also. I don't put the 41 magnum up there when it comes to game in the Brown Bear, Buffalo class. Match the caliber to the fight.

Dick

Bigbrowndog
(journeyman)
08/10/19 02:36 PM

Perhaps first we need to define ?BIG? game???

For me it?s red stag/elk/kudu size and bigger, or anything greater than 500#.
Personally I?d start at 44mag, but I don?t have a 41 so........

Trapr

45MAN
(veteran)
08/10/19 05:26 PM

"BIG" IS NOT ALWAYS "DANGEROUS" AND "DANGEROUS" IS NOT ALWAYS "BIG". FOR ME, "BIG GAME" WOULD INCLUDE THE AFRICAN BIG 5, PLUS HIPPO, ELAND, KUDU, SABLE AND OTHER LARGE AFRICAN PLAINSGAME, BROWN/GRIZZLY/BLACK BEARS, ELK AND LARGE BOVINES. WHEN CHOOSING A STRAIGHT WALLED HANDGUN CARTRIDGE FOR HUNTING CONSIDER THIS: MOST OF THE TIME THERE IS A TROPHY FEE, AND IF YOU PUT A BULLET IN IT YOU OWE THE TROPHY FEE, WHETHER YOU RECOVER THE ANIMAL OR NOT.

jamesfromjersey
(Shootist)
08/10/19 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: junebug
If your 41 Mag reads this James, its going to be pissed at you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jb, watch her start giving me 6" one hundred yard groups \:o
\:o

junebug
(Pooh-Bah)
08/11/19 01:27 PM

Would serve you right for being unfateful to her!