Spencer
(enthusiast)
01/07/19 01:12 PM
Hare hunt turned to porcupine hunt

Took the beagles up north to run hare yesterday. Started out at 33 degrees and temp dropped down to 19 by the time we were done hunting.

I always bring my Cur dog with me.

A couple years back, he tangled with a quill pig and lost. Now he hates them and when he winds them, he tries to find them and bay them up. He got us on 3 porcupines yesterday. A lot of houndsman are happy there are three less porcupines now.

Took the porcupines with my .32 mag
First one was a small one. but the gun is about two feet above it hanging on a branch stub so the size isn't to scale

Second was quite a bit bigger

Third one was nestled in the base of the tree and never came out.

Darn things chew on bark.

Tools of the trade while hare hunting

Cold cur dog wearing my jacket

snakereaper
(stranger)
01/07/19 05:24 PM
Re: Hare hunt turned to porcupine hunt

cool.

45MAN
(veteran)
01/07/19 05:38 PM

I UNDERSTAND THAT PORCUPINES ARE ALSO NEST PREDATORS AND BAD ON TURKEYS AND QUAIL. AT MY RANCH IN EDWARDS COUNTY, TEXAS, THEY ARE ON THE "YOU CAN SHOOT THEM ANYTIME" LIST (EXCEPT WHEN THE
MRS. IS AROUND). MY GRANDSON FROM VIRGINIA SHOT ONE THE OTHER DAY AT THE RANCH (PLUS A COUPLE OF FERAL HOGS), HE DID GOOD WORK.

wvhitman
(old hand)
01/07/19 06:40 PM

That's cool. Only one I've ever seen was in Africa.

bigbore442001
(enthusiast)
01/07/19 07:12 PM

Nice. From what I understand porcupine is pretty tasty

racksmasher1
(veteran)
01/07/19 08:35 PM

Looks like you had a great day Rob!

JDK
(enthusiast)
01/07/19 08:42 PM

Very cool and what a beautiful revolver! I've lived my whole life in Texas, but didn't see any porcupines here until I moved to Del Rio. There are quite a few there and they get very large.

ruger4570
(enthusiast)
01/08/19 08:20 AM

Way cool.

KRal
(Shootist)
01/08/19 12:52 PM

Good shoot?n, Rob! That?s a nice looking 32 you got there! I?ve seen it before, but can?t remember the particulars on it; can you enlighten us?

Spencer
(enthusiast)
01/08/19 02:45 PM

Porcupines here have no season. You can shoot them anytime, day or night all year long. No bag limit. Only thing you need is a valid hunting license.

It was a great. never got a shot at the hare, but great to hear the dogs running it.

RSW
(journeyman)
01/08/19 08:39 PM

Never seen one in the wild. Guess I'm too far South. Looks like little 32 did the job!

Spencer
(enthusiast)
01/08/19 09:50 PM

The handgun is a Ruger Single Six in .32 mag. Grips are sheepnhorn by Josh Jollie of RJ custom knives. Upgraded with steel grip frame, steel Ejector rod housing and crescent Ejector rod.

Alan Harton fit the grip frame, put a black powder chamfer on the cylinder and added the octagon barrel. He also cut the original hammer and welded on a Super Blackhawk thumb spur. I put a SBH hammer on all of my revolvers, I like them much better than the narrow hammers that are stock on the Single Six and Blackhawk

jamesfromjersey
(Shootist)
01/09/19 12:30 PM

I know you had a better day then me.....